ASSOCIATE COMPUTER PROGRAMMER
Full time for Herkimer County.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This is a technical support position working under the direction and guidance of a Computer Programmer or the Director of Information Services in preparing programmed instructions involving a variety of data for an electronic computer and associated microcomputers. Operates electronic computers and related peripheral equipment. Does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The duties involve assisting in preparation of programs for an electronic computer. With instruction from supervisors, the incumbent will progress to more complex study of problems, systems analysis, flow of information and adaptation for computer use, de-bugging of new programs and type of in-put and acceptable out-put of information from the computer. The position also involves administration of the network/AS 400 interface and the network/internet interface. Work is performed under general direction of the Director of Information Services and direct supervision of a Computer Programmer with emphasis on learning programs for adaptation to the equipment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Integrates various functions and databases between the IBM mainframe and microcomputer systems
- Designs detailed programs, forms, flow charts and diagrams to adapt business or statistical type operations to electronic data processing
- De-bugs new programs to assure completion according to predetermined requirements
- Operates an electronic computer and related peripheral equipment in compiling and processing data for a variety of statistical and financial reports
- Consults with superiors and reports problems and deviations affecting workload and scheduling
- Studies business of County departments for possible adaptation to computer programs
- Participates in the implementation of networks and network/AS 400 interface
- Tests and adjusts software during parallel operation with the current system
- Develops and documents operational procedures
- Trains staff in use of word processing, database, spread sheet, utility and other software
- Maintains a library of manuals, documentation, publication, etc., maintains inventory data, daily transaction log for monthly billings
- Reports regularly to the Director on current status, problems and potential capabilities of network applications.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Working knowledge of electronic computer programming principles, techniques and concepts; good knowledge of office terminology and procedures; working knowledge of electronic computer and related peripheral data processing equipment operation; working knowledge of systems analysis applicable to computer programming; working knowledge of PC networks and program packages; ability to follow moderately complex oral and written instructions and physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school AND
EITHER (A) Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered college with Associate degree in Applied Science in Computer Science or related field;
OR (B) Two years of experience in microcomputer system analysis or electronic computer programming using RPG II or RPG AS/400 programming language.
OR (C) Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
NOTE: Programming language in use: RPG, RPGLE, C#, SQL; Operating system in use: IBM OS/400; Control language computer in use: IBM AS/400; AND various microcomputers (some networked) and systems.
Applicants may email a cover letter and resume to:
Kathy Wright, Director of Information Services
Herkimer County Information Services Department
109 Mary Street, Ste. 1204
Herkimer, New York 13350
Call 315-867-1218 for more information.